Please read our testimony to the October 4 joint committee meeting. Below is a snippet:
"We seek to preserve and revitalize this last remnant of the city’s original working waterfront by reviving its historic use: the buying and selling of food in a wholly public setting. As confirmed by a recent segment on National Public Radio (October 1, 2012) around the country, local food markets are proliferating and 'old indoor markets are getting facelifts.' In New York, we are fortunate to have a market site that has been in continuous use since the 1640s, and whose historic market sheds have remained intact and essentially unaltered since they were vacated by their last tenant in 2005, when the Fulton Fish Market (itself incorporated in 1839) was relocated to the Bronx.
The Pier 17 Renovation U.L.U.R.P. application now before Community Board 1 seeks to rezone not only Pier 17 but also a part of the East River waterfront that includes a substantial portion of the Fulton Fish Market (the Tin Building and the New Market Building) as a potential future development site."